Thursday, June 29, 2006
Asian generalization
It is so funny how people generalize people from Asia by calling them "Japanese", "Vietnamese" or "Chinese". Well, it is actually not funny. For me, everytime these people describe me as "...that Japanese or Vietnamese girl" don't know anything. It is such an insult. It sounds shallow to even write about this but I came from a place where people value their roots and culture. At least before you say "...that Japanese girl", ask first. I am FILIPINO!!! I'm from the Philippines.

Oh well, that's how I feel. I just had an encounter with this at work and I am glad I clarified those people about the misundertanding and told them I would appreciate it if they will ask first before concluding anything. I wouldn't mind being described as Chinese, for I am 1/4 Chinese. I am sure if a Japanese girl crosses your path and told her automatically about how you spent your vacation in Beijing, you would say, "wtf?". Or you know Japanese language and automatically talked Japanese to a Vietnamese girl. It would be very embarassing and very insulting.

The point I am trying to make is at least ask first.
posted by isay at 6:21 PM -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
*My SanityRium*
Name: isay
Home: Somewhere, Fl, United States
About Me: Trying to get online therapy for my deepest thoughts and emotions on certain issues that affect my life, as well as the society. But generally, yeah, I am a good and a beautiful person, hehehe...
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogroll Me!

Add to Technorati Favorites
Credits


Brushes by Gvalkyrie

Visitors